Friday, May 8, 2009

The Fugitive Generation (xviii)

INT. HALLWAY--DAY

Maloney and Kelly walk slowly down hallway and stop in front of Apt. 1-H. Kelly rings doorbell.

NEIGHBOR (O.S.): (man's voice) Who is it?

NEIGHBOR, 75, has no foreign accent.

KELLY: It's the FBI. We'd like to speak with you.

Neighbor opens apartment door.

INT. LIVING ROOM--DAY

NEIGHBOR'S WIFE, 72, turns off television set.

NEIGHBOR: Have a seat.

Maloney and Kelly enter apartment and sit down on couch. Neighbor sits down on chair next to his wife.

NEIGHBOR (CONT'D): How can we help you?

KELLY: We'd like to ask you some questions about your neighbors in Apartment 1-G. The Greenbergs. Do you know them?

NEIGHBOR: We say hello to each other in the hall.

MALONEY: How are they as neighbors?

NEIGHBOR'S WIFE: They're good neighbors. They're very quiet. We've never had any trouble with them.

KELLY: How long have the Greenbergs been your neighbors?

NEIGHBOR: Two years. Maybe three years.

MALONEY: Have you ever seen their son?

NEIGHBOR'S WIFE: I saw him a few times around Thanksgiving. When he was staying over to visit them.

NEIGHBOR: I bumped into him in the hall a few times.

KELLY: What did he look like?

NEIGHBOR: He has long, kinky hair and a mustache.

NEIGHBOR'S WIFE: He looks like a hippie.

KELLY: Do you know whether he owns a car or has a driver's license?

NEIGHBOR: I don't know.

NEIGHBOR'S WIFE: I wouldn't know anything about that.

KELLY: Did you ever notice him getting any visitors at his parent's apartment when he would stay there?

NEIGHBOR: I never saw him in the hall with any visitors.

KELLY: We have some photographs of some Weather fugitives that we'd like you to look at now. We think the Greenbergs' son is helping them hide out.

Kelly shows them a photograph.

C.U. PHOTOGRAPH OF YOUNG MAN

KELLY (CONT'D) (V.O.): Have you ever seen him around this building?

NEIGHBOR (V.O.): Not around this building. Just on TV.

NEIGHBOR'S WIFE (V.O.): Just in the newspapers and on TV.

C.U. PHOTOGRAPH OF YOUNG WOMAN

KELLY (V.O.): What about her?

NEIGHBOR (V.O.): Never saw her before.

NEIGHBOR'S WIFE (V.O.): I never saw her around this building.

Maloney and Kelly stand.

KELLY: Well, that's all the questions we have for now. But we'd like you to let us know if you see the Greenbergs' son visiting them again.

NEIGHBOR: We'll be watching out for him. If you want us to.

KELLY: Let me take down your phone number. We'll be telephoning you from time to time.

NEIGHBOR: Our phone number is 459-6008.

MALONEY: Well, thank you for your cooperation. If all citizens were as cooperative as you, senior citizens wouldn't have to be afraid of being mugged on the street.

KELLY: Have a good day!

NEIGHBOR: Same to you.

Maloney and Kelly leave apartment. Neighbor closes door.

NEIGHBOR'S WIFE: It's like Nazi Germany. Now we have to spy on our neighbors.

NEIGHBOR: We have no choice. If we don't cooperate with them, they might get nosey about Alfredo's construction business.

INT. GREENBERGS' APARTMENT--DAY

GREENBERG'S MOTHER, 50, is a physically attractive women who wears slacks. She is stretched out on her bed reading a library book.

C.U. BOOK COVER of "Eleanor Roosevelt's Autobiography"

Sound of doorbell buzz. Greenberg's Mother slowly gets up from bed, walks from bedroom into living room and to door.

GREENBERG'S MOTHER: Who is it?

MALONEY (O.S.): It's the FBI. We'd like to speak with James Greenberg.

GREENBERG'S MOTHER: I don't know where he is.

INT. HALLWAY--DAY

MALONEY: Are you his mother?

GREENBERG'S MOTHER (O.S.): Yes, I am.

MALONEY: And you're Mrs. Jacob Greenberg?

GREENBERG'S MOTHER (O.S.): Yes.

MALONEY: May we come in and speak with you for a few minutes, Mrs. Greenberg?

GREENBERG'S MOTHER (O.S.): No.

MALONEY: When did you last see your son?

GREENBERG'S MOTHER (O.S.): He visited us around Thanksgiving. But I haven't heard from him since then.

MALONEY: Do you know where he's living now?

GREENBERG'S MOTHER (O.S.): I have no idea.

MALONEY: Aren't you worried about what might happen to him?

GREENBERG'S MOTHER (O.S.): I worry constantly about him.

MALONEY: Did he ever talk about any of the Weather fugitives when he visited you?

INT. GREENBERGS' APARTMENT--DAY

Greenberg's Mother grimaces.

GREENBERG'S MOTHER: I can't answer anymore of your questions now. I just got out of the hospital and I feel very weak. Please go away.

Greenberg's Mother walks slowly back to bedroom.

INT. HALLWAY--DAY

MALONEY: We're sorry to hear that. But we only have a few more questions. Do you think it's more likely that he'd be living in San Francisco than in Chicago now?...Mrs. Greenberg?...Are you there Mrs. Greenberg?

Maloney shrugs.

MALONEY (CONT'D): Let's get going.

KELLY: Should I ask O'Connor to put a tap on her phone?

MALONEY: Might as well. Let's see who she calls. And what she tells other people about her son.

EXT. ANN ARBOR STREET--DAY

Jim is walking from campus toward downtown Ann Arbor. Car pulls up beside him and honks. Jim looks up towards the car.

INT. JULIE'S CAR--DAY

Julie sits in driver's seat. Smiling, she rolls up window.

JULIE: Jim!

EXT. ANN ARBOR STREET--DAY

JIM: Julie! How have you been?

Jim walks over to car.

JULIE: I've been looking for you. Hal gave me a check for you from the Black Economic Development Council. To pay for that great research you gave me on the University of Michigan's President's Club.

JIM: A check? I didn't expect any money for that research.

JULIE: The check's at my house. Hop in! I'll drive you over there now, so I can give it to you.

Jim gets in car. Car moves forward.

INT. JULIE'S CAR--DAY

JULIE: I haven't seen you in the "Ann Arbor Power Structure" class lately.

JIM: I've been busy going to the People Against The Air War meetings.

JULIE: We can still use you in the class. To do more research on white church property and stock investment in Ann Arbor.

JIM: I probably won't be able to make anymore classes, Julie. But I'll let you know if I come across any new information in the library on the white churches.

EXT. HOUSE--DAY

After Julie parks car in front, Jim follows Julie into house.

INT. JULIE'S APARTMENT--DAY

Jim follows Julie into apartment.

JULIE: Have a seat, while I get the check.

Julie points to sofa in sparsely furnished living room. Jim sits down and looks around room while Julie goes into her bedroom. On living room wall, there's a poster of African-American man and a poster of a Vietnamese woman. Julie returns from bedroom with a check in her hand, and she sits down next to him.

JULIE (CONT'D): Here it is.

Julie hands Jim the check.

C.U. CHECK

The check is for $200. It is made out to "Jim Wilson" and is signed "Hal Thompson."

JIM (V.O.): That's very generous of Hal.

Jim puts check in his pocket.

JULIE: Hal was very pleased with the research you did.

JIM: How did you come to get involved with the Black Economic Development Council?

JULIE: I was very religious. Then Hal and the Black Economic Development Council started reading the Black Manifesto in the local churches. Which demanded reparations for the years of slavery. I felt a responsibility to get involved.

JIM: Are you from Michigan?

JULIE: No. I grew up in Delaware. In Wilmington.

JIM: What does your father do?

JULIE: He's an executive with DuPont.

JIM: DuPont?...I guess he doesn't like you to be so involved with the Black Economic Development Council.

JULIE: I don't tell him much about what I do these days. He thinks I spend all my time studying hard so I can get into a good law school.

Jim laughs.

JIM: I guess he wouldn't understand if you told him that you're able to learn more by hanging out with Hal than by studying to get into law school.

JULIE: No. He wouldn't understand. He's religious. But he's still just a liberal Republican in his politics. And he still thinks there's nothing morally wrong about working for DuPont.

JIM: Well, at least his DuPont mentality didn't stop you from turning out the way you did. You know, I still like you a lot, Julie.

Julie touches Jim fondly.

JULIE: Then why haven't you been coming the the power structure research workshop class lately?

JIM: I think the War is still the main issue.

Julie backs away from Jim.

JULIE: But what about racism?

JIM: I think it's important to raise that issue, too. But at this moment, I think we have to stand by our Indochinese sisters and brothers until the Pentagon stops bombing them.

JULIE: That's not what Hal thinks.

JIM: The mass base Hal is attempting to organize may have different priorities than the mass base I'm trying to organize.

JULIE: Well, I guess only time will tell what the mass organizing focus around Ann Arbor should be..You want me to drive you back to the campus now, Jim?

JIM: If you're going that way.

JULIE: It's not out of the way. I have to pick Hal up at the library downtown. There's another church meeting in Ypsilanti tonight.

JIM: Oh, that's too bad. I would have invited you to come hear me sing at the Ark Coffeehouse. Tonight it's "Open Mike Night".

JULIE: That's nice to know. But the one time I went to hear music at the Ark Coffeehouse, I was bored out of my mind.

Julie walks towards apartment door and Jim follows her out of the apartment.

No comments: